Friday, April 16, 2010

Friendship Friday

Keep away from people who try to belittle your ambitions.
Small people always do that,
but the really great make you feel that you too can become great.
~ Mark Twain ~


Did someone ever tell you that you are the company you keep? I remember growing up and my mom would tell me not to hang out with certain girls at my junior high. I recall thinking she was crazy and these were the coolest people in the world! These were the girls that were mean, but you would rather be friends with them than against them. Then there came that moment of realization (usually when something bad happened) and you had that "ohhhhh, I know what she meant" moment. Its nuts what life experiences will do, because those moments are more recognizable now, but the "ah ha!" moment is still the same.


When I was in certain classes, organizations, social settings, etc I was confined to the people in those groups. I stayed and hung out with them more out of convenience and not that I actually enjoyed their company. It may be just me, but the novelty of those situations does not appeal to me anymore. It's harder to make friends when you are not in forced social situations. It's also easier to let go of friendships as you begin to realize they were great company at one point of your life and now they (and you) have moved on.


I am to the point now where I want a close and small group of great friends and not a large group of mediocre relationships. I want to surround myself with people that bring out the best in everyone. I want to be near people with a positive out-look and avoid those who only see doom-and-gloom. In turn, I want to be that type of person to my friends. Thanks for reading and I hope you can be a good great friend to someone today. I know I will try!


Have a great Friday!

6 comments:

  1. it's so nice to have a close knit group of friends rather than a bunch of people you can't really be yourself around! happy weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. is that why you are friends with me?? thanks for being a true friend to me :). it is hard to be close to everyone when you live far apart.

    ReplyDelete
  3. love that--i agree, i would so much rather have a few great friends, than a bunch of so-so friends. i think it's hard with girls since we like to emotionally connect--i just don't have the energy to emotionally connect with everyone!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a wonderful Mark Twain quote! Love the sentiments too. Great reminder.

    ReplyDelete
  5. girl, I know what you mean. I really do! And you cracked me up with your letter to me. I can definitely help you out. But, from the pics I've seen you do a great job! Email me and we can talk style! Beth.peele@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for your comments! Hearing from you makes my day!