Sunday, December 13, 2009

The Camp



This time of year many southern women call themselves "hunting widows." The name comes from when their spouses head off to the hunting camps and leave their wives behind each weekend. I never grew up with my dad or brothers leaving to go and hunt. In fact, I didn't know anyone that did this except for my uncle who went on long trips to Canada. When you marry a man from South Alabama you figure this will be one of his past times.

Three years ago Jonathan and his dad joined a camp just outside of Monroeville, AL called Hetherington Swamp. It is not the typical camp, where only men are allowed, but a large facility where all are welcome including the wives. The two story lodge has a large front porch and back deck both equipped with swings and great views. When you come in the front porch there's a wide open common area that is decorated from top to bottom with deer heads, still flying ducks, and a giant moose over one of the couches. It definitely has a rustic feel and I wear slippers on my feet the entire weekend as to not dirty up my socks.

Jonathan asks me to come along with him and I typically will go. There are many rooms off the front room and about three sets of bunkbeds in each. I can sleep in when he leaves in the morning to go to the woods and catch up on books I have been meaning to finish. There's always a pot of coffee on and the best part is I don't have to cook all weekend. The guys prepare all the food and everyone shares around the long distressed farm house table. It's nice to have a meal prepared and not even have to clean up. After everyone has pigged out someone will light a fire and you can choose one of six rocking chairs to settle in for the night.

These are some pictures of when Jonathan and I took Dax up to the camp. Of course he is in the water 24/7 and will sleep for three days straight when we bring him home.

Dax in the front pond


He is waiting for me to throw a stick into the water... not going to happen!


This is my favorite shot. The bridge that goes across the river to the other side of the camp. (yes there are Christmas lights across the side that we keep there all year round)


Jonathan is preparing the grill. Camp rule number one: always bring charcoal


I finally got Dax to come and hang out. I think he knew we where putting Conecuh Sausage on next


The bridge across the river (and yes it does swing) Dax has tried to cross it. I think I scared all wildlife away when I was yelling at him to come back!


Jonathan, I am excited to spend all my free weekends headed to the camp with you!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for your comments! Hearing from you makes my day!